Many major motion pictures have been filmed on the island of Oahu and many of those movies have been produced at Kualoa Ranch – one of Oahu’s most popular things to do.
If you have been to the movies since 1955, it is likely you’ve seen a movie that was shot in part at Oahu’s Kualoa Ranch. Movies like Karate Kid, Jurassic Park, Godzilla, 50 First Dates and many, many more have used the picturesque Kualoa Ranch as their backdrop.
Located on the windward coast of Oahu, Kualoa Ranch is a stunning 4,000-acre, private nature reserve and one of the most popular attractions in all of Hawaii.
In this latest Oahu Travel Guide article, Oahu things to do: Visit Kualoa Ranch, we’ll share all the facts and recommendations on how to make the most of your visit to Kualoa Ranch.
Attraction: Kualoa Ranch
Location: 49-560 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe, HI 96744
Hours: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Why you should Visit Kualoa Ranch:
If you love movies and the outdoors and if you enjoy a bit of adventure, there is no better attraction for you to experience than Kualoa Ranch. This massive, 4,000-acre private nature preserve and the working ranch offer a wide array of tours and adventures fit for the entire family. Also, if you enjoy the idea of being chased by ‘Dinosaurs’, then look no further than Kualoa Ranch.
There is so much to do and see during your visit to Kualoa Ranch that it is literally impossible to see it all in a day or maybe even a week…but if you have a few hours or a full day to spend enjoying this amazing ranch, you are sure to enjoy nonstop action and some of the most spectacular views on the island.
Kualoa Ranch is an actual working ranch in every sense of the word. The ranch produces up to 60 different crops currently, including tropical flowers, and 5 different types of proteins like Shrimp Oysters, Beef, Pork, and Lamb. Kualoa Ranch is one of the most diverse and important farming operations in the state of Hawaii.
Guided Tours of Kualoa Ranch:
Kualoa Ranch offers a wide variety of tours to enjoy including Open-air Trolley Tours, ATV Tours, E-Bike Tours, and more. These tours are led by engaging guides who will tell you the history of Kualoa Ranch which they take you along the trails across the ranch, through jungle trails, and along the feet of massive, lush peaks.
Guests can choose from a wide variety of tours depending on their interest, available time, and budget including but not limited to the following – for a complete list of Kualoa Ranch Tours – visit their Website:
- Jurassic Adventure Tour: Experience an authentic visit to actual sets from Jurassic movies.
- UTV Tours: These fun-to-drive vehicles offer an open-air view of all your surroundings and a great way to enjoy Raptor Tours and other Tours across the ranch.
- E-Bike Tours: If you enjoy an adventurous bike ride across some of the most beautiful landscapes on Oahu, these may just be the best choice for you.
- Hollywood Movie Site Tours: Take a Tour of past and present Movie Sets like; 50 First Dates, Jurassic Park, Karate Kid and many, many more.
- Horseback Riding Tour: Perhaps one of the most enjoyable ways to experience the beauty and nature of Kualoa Ranch is on horseback.
- Farm Tours: Kualoa Ranch is a working ranch and offers tours to experience areas of the beautiful ranch that actually produces
…you will also have a chance to get chased by ‘real’ Dinosaurs if you have the nerve!
Frequently Asked Questions for Visiting Kualoa Ranch:
Q: How do we get to Kualoa Ranch from Waikiki:
A: Kualoa Ranch is located on Oahu’s windward side, of Oahu and about a 30 to 45-minute drive from Waikiki/Honolulu. You can take TheBus from Waikiki which is a fantastic public transportation option. Of course, a taxi or Uber is also available, and the rates will vary. You can choose to add a shuttle ride to Kualoa Ranch to your Tour Package ($30 per person at the time of publication) and this includes a round trip pick up from hotels in Waikiki and a return later that day.
Q: How much are the Tours at Kualoa Ranch?
A: There are too many Tour options to list but just an example of Tour rates (at the time of publication) includes the 2-Hour HTV Tour: $144.95, Jurassic Adventure Tour: 139.95, and Hollywood Movie Sites Tour: $51.95. See the Kualoa Ranch Website for the latest rates and tours.
Q: Is Kualoa Ranch close to any other activities or attractions we can visit after our Tours?
A: Kualoa Ranch is located on the Winward side of Oahu with a number of attractions and beaches to enjoy after your visit, including Byodo-Temple, Tropical Farms Macadamia Nuts, Waiahole Beach Park, Kualoa Rock Beach, Kahana Bay Beach Park and more.
Q: What other activities can we enjoy at Kualoa Ranch?
A: Kualoa Ranch offers Ziplining, a Secret Island Beach Tour, Jungle Jeep Expeditions, Farm Tours & more.
Q: Is Kualoa Ranch a real ranch?
A: Yes, Kualoa Ranch is an actual working ranch in every sense of the word. The ranch produces up to 60 different crops currently, including tropical flowers, and 5 different types of proteins like Shrimp Oysters, Beef, Pork, and Lamb. Kualoa Ranch is one of the most diverse and important farming operations in the state of Hawaii.
Q: What are some of the movies that were produced at Kualoa Ranch?
A: The Jurassic Park series, Finding Ohana, Windtalkers, 50 First Dates, Godzilla, Lost, Tears of the Sun, Hawaii 5-0, Karate Kid, and many, many more.
Quick Tips for Visiting Kualoa Ranch:
- Getting to Kualoa Ranch: If you are driving yourself, you should allow for up to 45 minutes to arrive at Kualoa Ranch from Waikiki – there can be a lot of traffic depending on the time of day that you are driving. You can also take TheBus, Oahu’s fantastic public transportation. You can also take a Taxi or Uber and the average cost of an Uber ride from Waikiki to Kualoa Ranch was $60+ at the time of publication – but please check a few days before your visit.
- Visit the Kualoa Ranch Website to view all their Tours and packages, and should you have any questions you can call their helpful staff at; 808.237.7321.
- Once you have selected your Tours, be sure to plan the rest of your day to enjoy other activities close to Kualoa Ranch, including Byodo-Temple, Tropical Farms Macadamia Nuts, Waiahole Beach Park, Kualoa Rock Beach, Kahana Bay Beach Park, and even drive around the island to North Shore and the town of Haleiwa.