Haleakala Sunset Tour
A sensational solar experience and incredible panoramic view from Haleakala at 9,740 feet. Marvel at the show of dazzling light and breathtaking colors. If a 2:00/2:30 a.m. departure time for sunrise isn’t your thing, come join us for an equally impressive experience viewing the sunset from the “House of the Sun”, Haleakala. It offers a fabulous finale to a wonderful day on Maui.
Your expert driver guide will greet you at your hotel and welcome you aboard a state-of-art minibus featuring wide side windows and an incredible panoramic front window well above the driver’s seat to open up the finest possible views of along the way to the summit area. Your driver’s superb live tour narration is augmented with captivating video segments shown on high-tech vehicle monitors.
- Hotel pickup in specially outfitted Grech deluxe minibus with USB ports, video monitors, climate control, and the best windows for viewing the Haleakala landscape
- Kula Lodge Marketplace with its unique crafts and gifts is visited just before entering Haleakala National Park.
- Haleakala National Park surrounds the world’s largest dormant volcano, spanning more than 30,000 acres. Haleakala was formed approximately 1 million years ago through the building up of layers of flowing lava and has been a sacred location for Polynesian people who settled on the island 400-650 A.D. It remains sacred to the Hawaiian people to this day. You will pass ancient sacred locations and breathtaking views from the safety and comfort of your vehicle en route to the summit area.
- Silversword plants only found at Haleakala, and the rare Nene Goose may be seen as you ascend the volcano.
- Ranger Station of the Park is at 7,000 ft where a convenient rest top is taken, and visitor information is available.
- Stunning Sunset View of the celestial kaleidoscope of light and color at twilight from the summit area. Your vantage point at an elevation of 9,740 ft offers a sunset view that cannot be surpassed anyplace on earth.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, situated in a rustic stone structure constructed in the 1930s on the edge of a cliff, is where you can pick up souvenirs, books, site information, and more. The Park staff welcoming and ready to share their insights.
- “Descend from the Heavens” as you gently glide through the changes in topography, weather, and scenery accompany elevation changes, as Kula in Upcountry Maui comes into focus.
- A Delicious Dinner at Café O’ Lei at the Dunes awaits you. A favorite of locals, the restaurant serves a family-style meal to enjoy with your newly found friends.
- Souvenir booklet containing facts, Hawaiian cultural information, and more.
- Hotel return after your inspiring tour and meal.
- Dress warmly (important). The temperature can be as low as around 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Haleakala National Park admission fees included.
- Ranger Station at Haleakala National Park entrance.
- The comfortable 38-mile drive to the summit area of “The House of the Sun”, Haleakala.
- Breathtaking sunset viewing at 9,740 ft elevation summit area that you’ll never forget.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, with its souvenirs, fact-filled publications, and helpful staff.
- Top-of-the-line Grech minibus tour vehicles with excellent amenities, superb visibility windows, and visual presentation on monitors (available in 6 languages) to augment professional live narration.
- Remarkable views of Kula, Upcountry Maui, and environs during descent.
- Delicious family-style dinner with at Café O’Lei at the Dunes, a local favorite.
- Kindly note that this tour is not recommended for guests with heart or respiratory conditions that may be exacerbated due to high altitude. People who have gone scuba diving should wait 72 hours before going on this tour. No refunds if sunset not visible due to inclement weather conditions. This tour is operated on rough, winding roads. It is not recommended for pregnant women or those with back or motion problems.
Haleakala Sunset Tour
Ages 12 +
Children 3-11 yrs
Age 3-11 yrs
Infants 2 yrs and under
Age 2 and under. Does not occupy a seat. Sits on an adult’s lap.
Land Tours canceled with 24 or more hours notice are refunded in full less 10% processing fee. Land Tours canceled with less than 24 hours notice are fully charged. There are no cancellations or refunds for Neighbor Island Day Trips. No shows incur full charges. Claims for refunds must be made within thirty days of the date of service.
Can I reserve this tour when I get to Hawaii?
It is recommended you pre-book to avoid disappointment as many of our tours and products are popular and can be sold out early.
Do your Hawaii tours operate on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other holidays?
Many of the places we stop while on tour are closed on Christmas (December 25), Thanksgiving (third Thursday in November), and New Year’s Day (January 1).
Can I be dropped off at my hotel or in the city after my tour?
Generally, we pick passengers up at major hotels or airports. We return our guests to the place of pick up. We cannot accommodate luggage on tour. We cannot pick passengers up at the airport and return them to a hotel.
What languages are available for this tour?
Our tours are available in English and our Maui HaleakalaTours are available in other languages. Privately chartered vehicles have a choice of qualified guides that speak a variety of languages.
How far in advance can reserve tours?
You may reserve tours up to a year in advance.
I don’t know what date I am traveling yet. Can I reserve a tour and leave it open dated?
Our system does not allow for tours to be reserved without a date or a place of pick up.
When do I receive confirmation of my reservation?
You should receive a confirmation email of online reservations within two business days.
What should I wear on tour?
Please wear comfortable attire and shoes. Many tours traverse uneven walking surfaces. Sturdy, closed-toe shoes are recommended. Bring a light sweater or jacket to Waimea Canyon (Kaua’i), Haleakala (Mau’i), Volcanoes National Park (Big Island), and any tour with air transportation.
What should I bring on my Hawaii tour?
You should bring items that allow you to be comfortable. You should wear sunscreen and bring a camera. Please do not leave anything of value unattended on the coach.
What is the “no bags” policy at the Arizona Memorial?
The U.S. Department of the Interior has instituted security guidelines that prohibit any item that offers concealment at Pearl Harbor. This includes purses, backpacks, fanny packs, etc. Stroller pockets must be emptied. A small camera is permitted.
You may check http://www.nps.gov/usar/planyourvisit/index.html for full details.
Will we see lava on the Volcano Adventure Tour?
We cannot predict the weather or lava viewing conditions. This volcano tour features change daily. We do not guarantee the sighting of active lava flows. Surface lava may be present but may not be viewable due to environmental conditions or time constraints.
Do you have ADA compliant vehicles?
Yes, we do have coaches with lifts.