Haleakala Sunrise Tour (Breakfast Included)
Spectacular Haleakala Sunrise Tour Including breakfast
Viewing sunrise atop the summit area of Haleakala is among the most sought-after experiences in the islands.
The otherworldly landscape, altitude, unique flora, and pervasive influence of ancient Hawaiian culture combine to create an event simply beyond imagination. Translated from Hawaiian, Haleakala means “House of the Sun”, and as the most experienced of Haleakala tour providers and operators of the finest vehicles for the trip, Polynesian Adventure Tours is ideally qualified to share the rising of the sun with you.
Your expert driver-guide will greet you at your hotel and welcome you aboard a state-of-art minibus that features wide side windows and an incredible panoramic front window well above the driver’s seat to open up the finest possible views of along the way to the summit area.
Your driver’s superb live tour narration is augmented with captivating video segments shown on high tech vehicle monitors. Upon descending from the dormant volcano, you will join newfound friends for a delicious local style breakfast at Café O’Lei at the Dunes with its stunning views of the West Maui mountains before returning to your hotel.
- Hotel pickup in specially outfitted Grech deluxe minibus with USB ports, video monitors, climate control, and the best windows for viewing the Haleakala landscape
- Dormant Volcano Haleakala was formed approximately 1 million years ago through the building up of layers of flowing lava. It has been a sacred location for Polynesian people who settled on the island 400-650 A.D.
- Haleakala National Park is home to over 1,000 different species of plant life. During the 38-mile drive to the summit area, you will view the magnificent silversword plant, found nowhere else on earth, and will pass ancient sacred locations, and breathtaking views from the safety and comfort of your vehicle.
- Ranger Station of the Park is at 7,000 ft where a convenient rest top is taken, and visitor information is available.
- Viewing of Sunrise as it rises above the clouds is the climax of the morning. The unforgettable show of light and color bursting into view is a spiritual experience for many. Majestic views from the 9,740 ft elevation are unparalleled anywhere. They are so expansive that under especially clear sky conditions other islands may be seen several miles away.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, constructed in 1936, is a small stone structure on the edge of a cliff. Information, souvenirs, and more. You’ll want to spend some time with the welcoming staff pleased to share their insights.
- Descend through the Clouds as you gently glide through the changes in topography, weather, and scenery accompany elevation changes.
- Views of Kula come into focus when approaching the open country slopes of the district meet agricultural land in this rustic region, home to early Portuguese and Chinese immigrant plantation workers.
- Scenic Upcountry Maui where misty mountain views, rich volcanic soil, and verdant farmland blends with a combination of early settlements and affluent new estates.
- Breakfast included at Café O’ Lei at the Dunes, a local favorite, where you and your newly found friends will enjoy a delicious meal together.
- Souvenir booklet containing facts, Hawaiian cultural information, and more.
- Hotel return after your singular morning on fabled Haleakala.
- Set your alarm to be ready for a 2:00/2:30 a.m. pickup from your hotel.
- Dress warmly (important). The temperature can be as low as around 20 degrees Fahrenheit, but the sight of the sun rising should warm you up.
- Haleakala National Park admission fees included.
- Ranger Station at Haleakala National Park entrance.
- The comfortable 38-mile drive to the summit area of “The House of the Sun”, Haleakala.
- Breathtaking sunrise viewing at 9,740 ft elevation summit area as you view the dawn of a new day from the top of the world.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, with its souvenirs, fact-filled publications, and helpful staff.
- Top of the line Grech minibus tour vehicles with excellent amenities, superb visibility windows, and visual presentation on monitors (available in 6 languages) to augment professional live narration.
- Remarkable views of Kula, Upcountry Maui, and environs during descent.
- Delicious group breakfast at Café O’Lei at the Dunes.
- Kindly note that this tour is not recommended for guests with heart or respiratory conditions that may be exacerbated due to high altitude. People who have gone scuba diving should wait 72 hours before going on this tour. No refunds if sunrise is not visible due to inclement weather conditions. This tour is operated on rough, winding roads. It is not recommended for pregnant women or those with back or motion problems.
Haleakala Sunrise Tour (Breakfast Included)
Ages 12 +
Children 3-11 yrs
Age 3-11 yrs
Infants 2 yrs and under
Age 2 and under. Does not occupy a seat. Sits on an adult’s lap.
Can I reserve this tour when I get to Hawaii?
It is recommended you pre-book to avoid disappointment as many of our tours and products are popular and can be sold out early.
Do your Hawaii tours operate on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other holidays?
Many of the places we stop while on tour are closed on Christmas (December 25), Thanksgiving (third Thursday in November), and New Year’s Day (January 1).
Can I be dropped off at my hotel or in the city after my tour?
Generally, we pick passengers up at major hotels or airports. We return our guests to the place of pick up. We cannot accommodate luggage on tour. We cannot pick passengers up at the airport and return them to a hotel.
What languages are available for this tour?
Our tours are available in English and our Maui HaleakalaTours are available in other languages. Privately chartered vehicles have a choice of qualified guides that speak a variety of languages.
How far in advance can reserve tours?
You may reserve tours up to a year in advance.
I don’t know what date I am traveling yet. Can I reserve a tour and leave it open dated?
Our system does not allow for tours to be reserved without a date or a place of pick up.
When do I receive confirmation of my reservation?
You should receive a confirmation email of online reservations within two business days.
What should I wear on tour?
Please wear comfortable attire and shoes. Many tours traverse uneven walking surfaces. Sturdy, closed-toe shoes are recommended. Bring a light sweater or jacket to Waimea Canyon (Kaua’i), Haleakala (Mau’i), Volcanoes National Park (Big Island), and any tour with air transportation.
What should I bring on my Hawaii tour?
You should bring items that allow you to be comfortable. You should wear sunscreen and bring a camera. Please do not leave anything of value unattended on the coach.
What is the “no bags” policy at the Arizona Memorial?
The U.S. Department of the Interior has instituted security guidelines that prohibit any item that offers concealment at Pearl Harbor. This includes purses, backpacks, fanny packs, etc. Stroller pockets must be emptied. A small camera is permitted.
You may check http://www.nps.gov/usar/planyourvisit/index.html for full details.
Will we see lava on the Volcano Adventure Tour?
We cannot predict the weather or lava viewing conditions. This volcano tour features change daily. We do not guarantee the sighting of active lava flows. Surface lava may be present but may not be viewable due to environmental conditions or time constraints.
Do you have ADA compliant vehicles?
Yes, we do have coaches with lifts.